The third grade curriculum is designed with specific emphasis on the Accreditation components within each of the core subject areas which consist of: Religion, Reading, Spelling, Grammar, Mathematics, Social Studies, and Science. Each teacher aims to infuse every subject area with the love of Christ and will approach each lesson with the needs of every student in mind.
Students will learn and understand the foundations of the Church. They will come to understand the responsibilities we have to use our talents to give Glory to God. Students will learn how to live out their faith in their daily lives and in communion with the Church. This instruction is emphasized by teaching the students the lives of saints, basic Latin prayers, and daily Catholic prayers that emphasize our faith and trust in God.
Through the use of a variety of literary genres, students will analyze and identify elements of plot development, supporting details, and main idea. Students will identify character traits and goals. Students will analyze and draw conclusions from a variety of text structures. Students will read fluently nonfiction, fiction, and poetry that help the students appreciate different cultures.
Students will learn different spelling patterns of words found in their literary texts. By blending and combining sounds, students are able to identify the proper spelling of words for their grade level. Students will learn the proper use of synonyms, antonyms, homophones, and dictionary skills.
Students will write using parts of speech correctly. Students will recognize and use different kinds of sentences using proper capitalization and punctuation. Students will apply knowledge of parts of speech by writing different kinds of essays such as narrative, expository, persuasive, and descriptive.
Students will apply knowledge of critical thinking and problem solving skills to solve addition, subtraction, multiplication, and basic division questions. Students will understand the ways of representing numbers, relationships among numbers, and number systems. Students will apply basic math skills to measurement of inches, centimeters, and millimeters. Students will be able to estimate solutions to solve problems when applied to real life situations. Students will apply knowledge to solve problems involving measurement, fractions, money, number lines, timelines, bar graphs, and probability.
Students will apply the scientific method to a variety of experiments applied to every lesson. Students will explain how temperature, pressure, and topography influence the land. Students will be able to apply knowledge of living and nonliving things and how they coexist in different biomes. Students will understand the life cycles of plants and animals; and the interaction of these in the ecosystems.
Students will learn basic key facts about our nation’s history and to appreciate different communities in our nation. Lessons are emphasized used tools and technology to represent the information presented in each chapter. Students learn how cultures and heritage have impacted our nation’s traditions and foundations. Students will learn how our national, state, and local branches of government work and function.
- Warm, cool and complimentary colors
- Introduction to perspective
- Famous artists and styles, multicultural art themes
- Use of oil pastels, colored pencils and rulers
- Portraits, still life and landscape compositions
- Develop importance of an active and healthy lifestyle through proper diet and exercise
- Develop leadership qualities through team sport participation
- Develop knowledge of rules and skills for team sports such as volleyball, soccer, basketball, kickball, and court hockey.
- Introduction and development of square dancing technique
- Consonant blends
- Definite/indefinite articles
- Parts of speech –nouns, adjectives, antonyms, synonyms
- Subject and predicate
- Types of sentences
- Introduction to computer and technology-related terms.
- Beginning internet skills
- Access, edit, Content and paste text and images
- Understand and be able to use Microsoft Word
- Beginning keyboard skills
- Proofread and edit writing using appropriate resources