The seventh grade curriculum consists of the following subject areas: Religion, Literature, Language Arts, Civics and Economics, Mathematics, and Science. Following the Common Core Standards as well as the Florida Sunshine State Standards, each subject is presented to the students in a manner which ensures the needs of each individual child are met as well as the grade level as a whole. The subject area teachers also work closely together, providing cross-curricular learning all while focusing on the students’ Catholic identity and growth in Christ.
The 7th Grade Religion curriculum focuses on the life and times of Jesus. The students will study the New Testament in depth to learn about the teachings of Christ and how the divine life is communicated to us in the Sacraments. In preparation for Confirmation, the students study the lives of the saints, practice articulating their faith to others and have opportunities to engage in Christian service. Sources will include: Sacred Scripture, Catechism of the Catholic Church, the lives of the saints, Church documents, and contemporary spiritual writers.
This course is designed to help students read more fluently, write more effectively, think critically, and present information orally. Students will listen, express opinions, and make presentations within the classroom. Students will also use the writing process to develop their own unique writing style, engaging in narrative, expository, and persuasive forms of writing. They will collaborate with one another with their writing and provide positive critiques. Students will also study and become familiar with the eight parts of speech and their proper usage. Literature will be addressed throughout the course with classroom novels and individual reading. In addition, students will develop comprehension and interpretation skills through analysis of various literary genres.
Students will learn the foundational concepts and skills necessary for future Algebra courses. These include objective covering: Integers, Expressions and Equations, Inequalities, Rational Numbers: Decimals, Two and Three-Dimensional Geometry and Measurement Applications, Polynomials, Equations, and Inequalities, Probability, Rational Numbers: Fractions, Ratio and Proportion, Percent and Consumer Applications, Data Analysis and Statistics, and Probability.
The science curriculum for seventh grade is based on general science courses, concentrating mainly on life science and physical science. The life science part of the curriculum includes the history of life on Earth, classification of living things, the cell, its structure and function and genetic inheritance. The physical science section of the seventh grade curriculum includes learning the atomic structure and the periodic table of elements, and the characteristics of the elements and compounds. The curriculum also includes scientific inquiry and mathematics applications in science.
This course will explore government and economics in real life, by teaching and reinforcing core social studies skills; by helping to comprehend informational texts; and by giving students the opportunity to practice civic participation. In addition, students will study geography in correlation with specific units of the text book.
Concentration on advanced techniques of painting, pastels, foil embossing, stitching and pencil. Analyzing and writing about art (Feldman Analysis)
- Music appreciation
- The role of music in history and on society
- Written essays and oral presentations
- Relationship of religion and humanism
- Develop importance of an active and healthy lifestyle through proper diet and exercise
- Develop leadership qualities through team sport participation
- Develop knowledge of rules and skills for team sports such as volleyball, soccer, basketball, kickball, and court hockey.
- Introduction and development of square dancing technique
Fourth through Eighth Grades are divided according to two levels: Spanish I and Spanish II. Classes are taught using differentiated instruction.
- Singular/ Plural
- Action words
- Types of sentences
- Verb conjugation
- Developing critical thinking skills
- Adjectives, adverbs, prepositions; conjunctions
- Reading comprehension
- Basic writing skills
- Use a variety of technology tools to maximize the accuracy of work
- Use features of a computer operating system
- Demonstrate use of intermediate features in word processing application
- Identify and explain terms and concepts related to spreadsheets
- Create simple web documents
- Demonstrate proper citation for electronic resources
- Explain Fair Use Guidelines for the use of copyrighted material in student projects
- Identify cyber bulling and describe strategies to deal with such a situation
- Identify and use a variety of storage media