Virtue of the Month
Hospitality is treating people in a friendly way to make them feel welcome and that they belong. A hospitable person receives others with good will, includes them despite their differences and makes them feel accepted. Hospitality is about following God’s command to love our neighbor.
Ways we can show Hospitality to others:
- Make new students, new staff and visitors feel welcome
- Greet them by saying “hello,” “good morning,” “welcome”
- Make them feel like they belong, like they are part of our schooland they matter
- Show appreciation for their contributions
- Include them and never let anyone feel left out
- When talking to them, use good manners, respect differences, and acknowledge their presence
- Giving importance to what they have to sayand always make eye contact
- Create space for someone to feel cared for, heard and seen
- Always be a good host to guests and new people in your life, whether it is at church, home, neighborhood, school or in your group of friends
- Hospitality begins with an open heart!
Class Activities & Discussions:
- Discuss ways each person can welcome new students and staff.
- Write about a time someone showed hospitality to you. Explain how it made you feel.
- If you want to feel welcome and included, make sure you are welcoming to others.
- Discuss in class what sort of actions show hospitality.
- How can you make the lonely feel welcome?
- Welcome new and old friends.
- Invite everyone that wants to join your group or game at recess.
- Discuss different examples in the Bible where hospitality was shown to others.
Romans 12:13: Contribute to the needs of the holy ones, exercise hospitality
Hebrews 13:2: Do not neglect hospitality, for through it some have unknowingly entertained angels